6 Ways to Help Your Child Have a Good First Dental Visit
The dentist can be a scary place for a small child. But as a parent, you can help them feel at ease before they ever walk in the door of a dental office. Follow these tips to have a pleasant first dental visit.
- Choose an appointment time during the time of day that your child is usually in a good mood. If they’re an early bird, make the appointment for the morning. If they’re happiest after a nap or after lunch, make the appointment in the afternoon.
- When it comes time for a child’s first dental visit, parents might be more nervous than their kids. So make sure you act calmly when you talk about the dentist to your child. If they sense that you’re nervous or worried, they’ll pick up on it and might feel they should be scared too. If you treat going to the dentist like it’s no big deal, your kid will be more likely to feel that way too.
- The day before the dental appointment, sit down with your child and talk about wh
at they can expect. Do your best to make the dentist sound like a nice person who is a doctor for their teeth. Maybe have them sit back in a chair and you can pretend to be the dentist for fun to get them used to the idea. Just make sure that you don’t use words like needle, drill, or hurt.
- On the day of your appointment, arrive a few minutes early. This will let your child get used to their surroundings and feel comfortable before getting called back.
- Bring along a favorite toy or stuffed animal, and let your child hold it for comfort during the visit.
- Make sure you stay beside your child throughout the entire dental visit. Stay calm and keep a smile on your face. This will let them know that everything is okay, and they have nothing to be afraid of.
Kids should see the dentist soon after they get their first tooth, or by age one at the latest. If you’re looking for a great kids’ dentist, click here to see if there’s a Kool Smiles location near you. At Kool Smiles, we’re experts in children’s dentistry and know how to make kids feel at home.